The Kiowa - Apache are also known as the Prairie Apache. The name Apache
was applied to them many years ago, because they were thought to be the same
as the Apache people of Arizona. They have not had a connection with the Arizona
Apache, other than belonging to the same language group. They came from the
north, as a part of the Kiowa. Recent authorities now think the Apache divided
somewhere in Montana, one group migrating down the west side of the Rockies
into the Southwest, and a smaller group staying with the Kiowa. Whichever theory
is correct, The Kiowa - Apache have a distinct language, and call themselves
Nadi-ish-dena. The Pawnee and early French explorers and settlers called them
Ga ta'ka, which is the name they appear as in their first treaty with the United
The Kiowa - Apache were associated with the Kiowa before they left the Rocky Mountains. In 1682, La Salle referred to them as "Gattacka, saying they had horses, which they sold to the Pawnee. La Harpe in 1719, after being in the now Oklahoma area, mentioned the tribe as "Quataquios" living on the Arkansas River as neighbors of the Tawakoni. Lewis and Clark found them in 1805 in the Black Hills where the Kiowa were.
In 1837, the Kiowa - Apache signed their first treaty with the United States at Fort Gibson. Since then they have identified with the Kiowa, and for the most part, share a common history.
In 1865, at their request, the Kiowa-Apache were officialy attached to the Cheyenne as a result of the Treaty of the Little Arkansas, but in the Medicine Lodge Treaty, two years later, were reunited with the Kiowa.
Chief Tennyson, Kiowa Apache, wife, Annie Berry and grandchildren. This photo was submitted by Crystal Spruiel Chief Tennyson and Annie Berry's great grand daughter. This photo was featured in a 1948 issue of the Saturday Evening Post. The story was the "Handmade Language", about the Kiowa.
This photo of Koon-Kah-Za-Chy, Kiowa Apache, was submitted to this
site by Jarod Cassada, who lives
in the old Koonkazachy school district and town area, 11 miles south of Lone
Wolf. This district was named for him.