Jim Tutin Drove Herds Over the Chisholm Trail in Early Days
The Hobart Democrat-Chief
Tuesday August 4, 1925

James "Jim" Tutin is a real old-timer. He was not only here when the town was founded, but was here for a long time before. He drove cattle through this section of the country in 1886 when railroads and highways were unknown----but when Indian troubles were common occurrences.

Jim was employed by the "Bill Dickey Outfit" to help take about 3,000 head of cattle from the Witherspoon Ranch in Texas to the Dickey Ranch in Montana. In addition to the cattle, there were about 100 head of wild horses which also were driven across the plains.

Twelve men were employed to drive the herd, one man being detailed to care for the horses.

Indians made a practice of stopping cattlemen who passed through their section of the country and demanding that they be given a beef. Otherwise, the Indians would stampede the cattle, and while the cowboys were trying to round them up would steal as many as they wanted.

When the Dickey outfit reached the Washita River near Hammon, they were stopped by a band of twelve or fourteen Kiowa Indians under the leadership of Kiowa Charley. It was the custom of the Kiowas to set dogs on the herds if those in charge refused to meet their demands, and rather than fight, take chances on losing their lives and most certainly losing their herds, the Dickey outfit compromised by giving them half a beef.

When the herdsmen reached the South Canadian, they were again stopped by Indians, this time by the Cheyennes under the leadership of White Cloud. There were about 30 Indians in this band, but the "boss" of the Dickey outfit believed he could get away without giving them any of the cattle.

When they saw their demands were not met, the Indians began to ride in circles around the herd, gradually bringing the cattle closer and closer together. The herd soon became so crowded that a stampede ----the Indians still closing in and the cattle were already crowded as much as possible.

When it seemed the stampede would come at any moment, the "boss" made peace with the Indians by giving them two steers.

Mr. Tutin is 64 years old, having been born in Wisconsin. He went to Texas in 1876, and helped herd cattle from there to the north until Oklahoma opened to settlement. He is now a familiar figure on the streets of Gotebo.

Music - The Winds

Kiowa-Comanche-Apache Reservation
Cheyenne-Arapaho Reservation
Return to Main Page

Copyright 2012
This information compiled, prepared and submitted to this site by Ethel Taylorand remains the property of the submitter
NOTICE: Ethel Taylor grants that this information and data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material, for personal and genealogical research. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit, can not be copied over to other sites, linked to, or other presentation without written permission of Ethel Taylor.