Green Valley District 11
The one room Green Valley School was designed and built by the
men of the community in 1904. It was taught by a much loved teacher, Miss
Belle Stewart. She rode on a side saddle when she didn’t drive her
buggy with her pony, a distance of 4 miles. Previous to this, classes
was taught by Wilbur Rushton in 1903 in a private home.
W. R. Rushton was Sunday School Superintendent for 17 years,
Kelly Askew played his violin for social events. Mrs. Otis Lee and Nora
Rushton Cook played the organ for most of the church services and community
singings.It served not only as a school, but Sunday School, Church services,
box and pie suppers, school programs, spelling and ciphering matches,
school board and meetings for community improvement.
When population increased, a second room was added in 1915, making
it a 2 room, 2 teacher accredited school. Better qualified teachers were
available and many students finished the 8th grade to on to higher education.
After consolidation, the school was moved away.
Mount Moriah District 13
Mount Moriah School was located on the Walter Truelove farm one
mile north and 3 miles east of Cooperton. It is thought a prior school
building had been built one half mile east and that it had burned. The
last year of school was 1936, when it consolidated with Cooperton.
Ridge District 16
Pleasant Ridge was located NW of Hobart, 2 miles west and 4 ½
miles north. It was a one room school and had one teacher from 1902 through
1935-1936. In 1949 it was annexed to Hobart and Sentinel. Like other schools
of the time, it served as
a meeting place for box suppers programs and Christmas Programs.
Valley View School,
Built in 1902, Valley View School was located 7 miles north of
Lone Wolf. The one room school was built in the fall of 1902 on land given
by Charlie Edwards and Buck Ballew. It was built in a valley between 2
ridges which gave a beautiful view of the country. It was a one teacher
school, all 8 grades being taught until 1911. Due to a large enrollment
another room was built on the north side and two more teachers hired.
There were 60-65 students in the early years.
For several years, drinking water was hauled from a spring about
one-half mile away on the Woods farm. coal and kindling were carried in
for heating in the big pot belly stove in the middle of the building.
It was a thrill for the boys to be chosen for these tasks. Later a big
cistern was built to provide water, and a concrete cellar for protection
from the storms.
There was no playground equipment those days so the children
played games such as baseball, jump the rope, hide and seek, and the smaller
boys played marbles. Ciphering and spelling matches were held on Friday
afternoons after last recess.
The building served as a community center as well as a school.
In the early days there was an Anti-Horsethief
Society organized. This organization was very popular in America in
those days and is still in existence in some states today. Social events
were held at the school as were church services. Due to dwindling attendance,
the school was disbanded in 1947 and students transferred to Lone Wolf
Union School, District
In the Northeast part of Kiowa County, 3 miles east of Simpler
School, was another Union School, but the patrons who named District 19
did not know of District 59. They were some distance apart, so there was
no conflict. This school was consolidated with Lone Wolf.
George E. Mitchell had drawn a farm ½ mile from the school.
He hauled the first load of lumber for the school building, which later
became a voting precinct called Mitchell Precinct.
After consolidation with Lone Wolf , the school building was
taken over by the B-U-Busy club (members from Bethel and Union Districts)
who painted it and maintained it. The building was used for club meetings,
showers, family dinners, and was the center for social activities for
the 2 districts.
Russell School, District
Russell School was the center of activities for the neighborhood
with Sunday School held each week by ministers from Hobart and Lone Wolf
alternating, revivals, literary societies, and Christmas programs.
When money was needed, box and pie suppers were held. Drinking
water was carried from the house south of the school, the teacher appointed
someone to do it. It was a great privilege to be “water monitor”
and they walked as slowly as possible with the water. A coal stove in
the middle of the room provided heat, and it had to be kept “red
hot” on winter days, those setting next to it “burned”
to keep the others from freezing. Coal oil lanterns hung on the walls
provided light. Everyone brought their lunches in buckets, baskets, or
The school was blown away in a tornado Easter Sunday, 1944 and
the school term was finished in a chicken house on the Watkin's farm.
Sunnyside School #
Sunnyside was located 3 miles north of Lone Wolf and 3 miles
west of Russell School, on the east side of Lone Wolf. The one room building
was located on the SW corner of Nick Snyder's farm. It was consolidated
into Lone Wolf in 1929.
Mount Zion, District
Mount Zion School was two miles west and one mile north of Hobart.
It was a one room school through 1906-1907.
This information compiled, prepared and submitted to this site
by Ethel Taylor and remains the
property of the submitter. Ethel Taylor grants that this information and
data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains
on all copied material, for personal and genealogical research. These
electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit, can not
be copied over to other sites, linked to, or other presentation without
written permission of Ethel Taylor