McIlvain School District 27
Charles McIlvain gave the land for a school 3 miles southwest of Lone Wolf. First classes started in 1908. At first water was carried from Mr. Ray's, who lived just up the hill from the school. Heat was from a big pot bellied stove in the middle of the room. Of course, that meant the nearest got too hot----at least on one side, while pupils in the outer part of the room were always cold.
The building was used as community center, church, Sunday School,
as well as various other group meetings—spelling bees, debates,
and singing conventions when other communities came with their quartets
and other specialties.. Of course, there were the Christmas parties, with
a big tree, candy and apples for the children and Santa Claus.
Spring Valley # 29
Zoddletone Springs, a health resort, was once in this locality and gave the school its name. It was a one teacher school through 1946-1947 except for 9 years when there were 2 teachers. It was annexed in 1949 to Sedan and Carnegie. It was closed because of an explosion caused by raw natural gas used for heating.
Mount Zion, District 30
Mount Zion School was two miles west and one mile north of Hobart. It was a one room school through 1906-1907.
Plainview School, District 31
Plainview School was located 3 miles SE of Hobart. It was originally called "Hobart View" in the early days, then changed to Plainview. It was a one teacher school, nicknamed "Crackerbox"from the time it was built. It was annexed to Hobart in 1938.
Soldier Springs School District 33
Soldier Springs School was built in 1902 on the Jake Riley farm and was located in the extreme southwest part of the county. It was a large one room frame structure and was built by Mr. A. J. Reed, a farmer and carpenter, who lived in the district. Residents of the area furnished the lumber, and Mr. Reed agreed to do all the building for the scrap lumber.
The school was blown off it's foundation in 1916, and it was decided to move the building to the Albert Anderson farm, making it more centrally located. There was a large spring about 1/4 mile from the school for drinking water. At one time there had been a battle there and several soldiers graves were nearby, hense the name. The graves were later moved to Ft. Sill.
All 8 grades were taught and terms were from 3 to 5 or 6 months, as the children had to help with the farm chores and crops. THe school terms started in December. Two boys were chosen each day to carry drinking water from the spring to the school and bring in kindling and coal for the big pot bellied stove. There were spelling and ciphering matches held after the last recess on Fridays. Other games played jump rope, marbels and baseball. The baseballs were made out of twine by the boys and bats were whittled from wood. Many social events were held there, as well as Thanksgiving dinners where every cook brought her best dish and Christmas Programs by the children. The school term would end with a program and a picnic.
In the early days, most of the people lived in half dugouts. It was a large district and some of the children had to walk long distances. So, in 1910, it was decided to divide the school district. The north half was made into Mount Tepee and the south half remained Soldiers Springs.
Soldier Springs was the last one room school in Kiowa County
when it was disbanded in 1953. The school was transferred to Lone Wolf.
The old building was bought by the Davis family, moved to their farm and
became a residence.
Hill School District 34
Hill School was located 4 miles south, 1 west and 1 south of Gotebo. This land was owned from January 14, 1903 to February 4, 1908, by Eliza and Edward Hill, when they sold it to James Brewer, except one acre conveyed for school purposes.
Friday afternoon special events were spelling and cyphering matches. Standing room only was generally the rule at the box suppers and Christmas programs. heat was furnished by the big stove in the center of the room. On cold days students sometimes kept warm by marching to the victrola. Kerosene lamps were in brackets along the walls.
During the years beginning 1922, Emma Stone with the help of the community, brought the school up to Model Rating. Workdays were held when repairs on the buildings, equipment and grounds were made. All day meetings, with basket dinners, and well attended.
This was a one teacher school and existed from 1907 to 1939.
People had moved away, farms had gotten larger and school attendence low,
so the students were transferred to Gotebo in 1940. The district was annexed
to to Gotebo in 1948, the building bought by Emmett Aday used for a church,
then a house on 5th and Randlett in Hobart.
Stone School District 35
From the south edge of Hobart, 8 miles east on the "old Ozark Trail" and 1/2 mile south was the one room school called Stone. This building was used from early 1900's to 1937, when the building was torn down and a new one was builtby 1938 George Thompson received the patent on this location in 1905, but may haved there for a time before. On this land the early school was built.
A few years after the new schoolhouse was built the enrollment decreased so much that it was decided to close the school and send the children by bus to Hobart and gotebo. Before this an 8th grade student was required to pas a county examination before they could attend high school. The Stone School district paid the transfer fee. to the high school.
. The school was annexed to Hobart in 1948
Pleasant View, District 37
Pleasant View School about 1905. Back row; Joe Hart, May Jarvis, Daisy Jarvis, Althea Jarvis, Ethel Bridenstine, Vera Bridenstine, and Watson Tidball. Second row; Gene Bridenstine, Edgar Limbocker, Kenneth Gossett and Earl Cranfield. Front row; Edwin Jarvis and 2 unidentified children.
Pleasant View School, also known as Prough School, was located 7 3/4 miles south and 3 miles west of Gotebo. The first teacher is thought to have been Frederick C. Thompson. The last term was 1927-28 when it was annexed to Gotebo School District, with W. E. Burton driving the first school bus for this area.
The school was used for Sunday school, church and community activities, with J. J. Heckman serving several years as pastor. He also farmed in the area and was a valuable asset to the community.
Lugert District 38
The first Lugert School was a one room building of wood located
near the railroad tracks. When Lugert out grew the building, a new one
The district built a third building in the same location. It
was a brick two story structure with the upper floor used as an auditorium.
Lugert had it's fourth school as a
Except for 5 years, Lugert was a 2 teacher school through 1946-1947. It was transferred for 1 year in 1948. Lugert was annexed to Lone Wolf and City View district in Greer County in 1948.