Kenney District 62
Kenney School was 3 miles east of Snyder. It was
named for John Kinney who operated a store across from the school. It
was usually a 3 month school. In the fall of 1908 a small pox epidemic
kept the school from opening until January 1909. It was a tiny box frame
building and was never painted. There were no desks, the students sat
on homemade benches and wrote on slates they held on their laps. The teacher's
desk was a homemade table with a cane bottom chair.
In 1908 there were more than 60 students in the one room. The
younger children were placed on benches against the wall as a place for
them to lean.
The school held debates and spelling bees. At recess time the
older children played all kinds of ball games; the younger ones played
“Anti-over”, “Blackman”, and “Dare Base”.
Star Valley District
Star Valley was organized by J. C. Adams and Martin Donley who
donated the land. The school was originally on the front porch of Donley's
home, starting in the fall of 1902. The first building was frame, about
24 by 36 feet with the chimney in the north and door in front. At different
times Star Valley was rated a model school. In 1938-1939 it not only re-acquired
her rating as a model school but secured accredited rating as well. In
1939 there were 15 pupils.
Wichita Valley, District 66
The Wichita Valley school was located 3 miles south of Cooperton.
Before the school building was built, Hugh Francisco, thought to be the
first teacher, held the school in the lower floor of his home, while he
lived upstairs. A one room school was built and about 1917 another room
was added. The school building was used for Sunday School, church and
school activites. It consolidated with Cooperton in 1925.
Gladson District 68
Gladson was, in area, one of the largest rural school districts
in the county. It began as
a one room, but when attendance reached 80, another room was built.
Frisco School District
Frisco School originated in 1902, through the efforts of Thomas
Cotter and Dave Whitaker. Up to this time there had been no school and
they felt there was a need for one. The parents hauled the lumber and
the two men built it, donating there time and labor. W. A. Bailey furnished
one wagon and with 2 wagons and teams, they managed to haul the lumber.
A Mr. Allen, who was a carpenter, built the school, with help from Tom
Cotter and the boys. It was finished after January 1903.
It was a one room building located 2 miles north of Hobart.
Whitaker donated the land. The building was used as a school, community
center, Sunday school and the usual activities as box suppers and debates.
Later it was annexed to Hobart and the building was used as a club house.
Olive Branch, District
Olive Branch was a one teacher school through 1910-1911.
It was located one half mile north of the Con. 8 gin. In 1911 it was consolidated
with Mackey and Lone Star. When it was time for the consolidation, the
new building was completely destroyed by fire. School was delayed for
another year while a new school, an exact replica of that one was built.
Since it was not ready for the 1912 term, the Olive Branch building was
moved to the site, divided into 3 rooms by cloth curtains until the following
spring when they could move into the new building
Hilltop School, District
Hilltop School was in Kiowa County before Hunter Township was
transferred to Tillman County. The first school was a one room building
one mile west and one north of Snyder. Later, another was built facing
southwest. It was used until 1932 when a new, larger building was erected,
still a one room school. It was equipped with a playground and equipment,
cellar and cistern. The last term of school was held in 1942 with seven
Tripp School, District
Tripp School was located 6 miles due west of Snyder. A Mr. Tripp
donated a corner of his property for school purposes.It started in 1903
as a one teacher school and later expanded to 2 teachers.
The school was the usual type frame building painted white with
4 windows on each side and 1 door in front. Between 50-60 students attended
Return To Early Schools
Updated October 25, 2003
Background Courtesy Pat Calton
This information compiled, prepared and submitted to this site by Ethel
Taylor and remains the property of the submitter Ethel Taylor grants
that this information and data may be used by non-commercial entities,
as long as this message remains on all copied material, for personal and
genealogical research. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in
any format for profit, can not be copied over to other sites, linked to,
or other presentation without written permission of Ethel Taylor.