Sedan District 9
(originally Fairview; later Consolidated #9)
Sedan was organized June 28, 1911 as Consolidated 9 District. Three little schools, Fairview, Mountain Hope and Star Center combined to become Sedan School. District 110, Rocky Hill annexed in 1929. In 1949 Sedan annexed all of Pecan Districts 99 and Dixie District100, parts of Saddle Mountain District 101 and Rainy Valley (Rainy Mountain District 103, parts of Green Valley District 11 and West Saddle Mountain District 12 making Sedan the largest district in the area.
Only after the 1929 annexation did the number of teachers rise above 4, with 6 reported for the first term in 1931. For several years the faculty was 7 or 8 but went to 6 in 1953.
The State Department of Education High School Bulletin reported 8 units of accredited high school work in 1930, 12 in 1935, and 15 in 1940. Apparently by 1940, Sedan was offering 4 years of High school. In later years 18 or 19 units were reported including more business subjects and what was listed as “vocational education” which probably included both agriculture and home economics.
After 1957, when Consolidated 8 was discontinued, Sedan was the last
rural school in Kiowa County. Sedan School was discontinued in the 1960’s.
Saddle Mountain, District 12
The first school had it's beginning in the home of A. A. Moss and it continued there for two weeks, at the end of which time there was a large tent set up, twenty by twenty feet. This was used as the school for three months.There was no floor in the tent and each student brought his own chair or box to sit on. Everyone used slates since there was no blackboards.
The first school building near Saddle Mountain was built in the winter and started April, 1903. It was given the name of "Number 12", and was small, about twelve by sixteen feet. Later some of the people called it Saddle Mountain School which caused some confusion with District 101 which was closer to Saddle Mountain. It was then referred to as "West Saddle Mountain" to distinguish between the two. Later for some reason, it acquired the nick name of "Lick Skillet" or "Slick Skillet".
In 1907 a larger building was built across the road from the first.
The last building was built in 1916, located one half mile north and east of
the other. In 1940 the district was annexed to Sedan and Cooperton.
Northwest (Simpler) District 20
Northwest District also known as Simpler, was located in the extreme
The school house was a barn like structure about 30 x30 feet. It was named Simpler for John Simpler, a farmer that lived across the road.
The first term was in 1902. It opened with T. J. Allen as the teacher. It was a one room school until after the 1910-1911 term. At this time there were 72 students and a partition was built down the middle to turn it into a two room school.
In 1905 the old building was torn down and a new Spanish mission design
The school fulfilled an important mission in the lives of the families in the district. Northwest sent hundreds of children from it's doors better prepared to understand life and it's responsibilities as they faced the future of adult life and to become more substantial citizens of whatever community they lived in. One of the students attending this school went to become a teacher, banker, judge and finally U. S. Senator, Ernest McFarland, from Arizona.
Union Dale School District 55
Union Dale was located 3 miles north and 1 east of Cooperton on the southwest corner of land of Mr. And Mrs. James A. Campbell. Mr. Campbell drew and homesteaded the land. When the need for a school arrived, Campbell gave the acre where the school building was erected.
The first Union Dale School was held in one room of the Campbell’s 3 room house. Louis Grant Van Ben Theusen was the first teacher, known as Mr. Van and boarded with the Campbells. When a death occurred, Campbell gave an acre of land for the cemetery, just east of the school site.
The building served as Community center with such activities as Sunday School, church, children's programs, pie and box suppers, literaries, singing on Sundays and funerals.
The school closed in May 1925, when patrons voted to consolidate with Cooperton Valley School, District #10. The school building is gone, but the cemetery is still there.
Each year since 1961, former students of Union Dale have gotten together
for a reunion. They meet in the Community building in Cooperton the last Sunday
in April at 12:00 Noon. Everyone is invited to attend, bring a basket lunch
and enjoy the program and the fellowship
Union School, District 59
The first school building was a mere shack about 12' x 16', with a
shed roof and native sod floor. There were no desks, only benches for the students
or their books. The school opened in the fall of 1902. In the fall of 1903,
school opened in a new building, 8 miles
Mount Teepee District 75
Mt. Teepee School was located 9 miles south of Lone Wolf on the John
Hoskin Farm. There was no church in the neighborhood, so the school was used
for church services and social gatherings. Mt. Teepee was consolidated into
Lone Wolf in the 1940's
West Park (West View) School District 82
West Park school was located 4 miles west of Mountain Park. It was built in 1902 by Alex Reed, who also taught the first term of school in 1902-1903. He was paid $45.00 a month. In 1912-1913, he taught another term.
The old school house was sold to a Mr. Webb and a new one built. The new one hosted many community activities, such as singings, literies, school programs, box suppers and the community Christmas tree.
West Park was annexed into Mountain Park in 1925, and the building
sold to Robert Sockwell.
Yale School District 93
Lawrence School, District 96
In 1901, a meeting of 4 school districts, later known as Martin, Gentry, Pleasant Valley and Lawrence, was called . The meeting was at Komalty and was to discuss Consolidating the four districts or build separate buildings.Income from the railroad helped finance Gentry and Martin, but the other two had only the land school tax. It was voted down because of transportation.
A tent was first erected, and every child had to bring something to set on. Walter Standevan taught the first three months, then a one room building was erected and named ofter his father Lawrence Standeven.
A Sunday school was organized and met at the school. It later became a Baptist Denominational school.
A second room was added in 1919, two teachers were hired. By 1923 the
enrollment was down and only one teacher was needed. In 1945, only 14 students
enrolled and the school was closed, the students sent to Hobart. The school
building, two outbuildings, a shed and water pump were sold at auction. The
building brought $455.00 and the other items brought $71.50.
Mackey, District 104
Mackey was a one teacher school through 1910-1911 when it became one
of 4 districts