Elk View School, District 26
Located 3 miles west and one mile south of Hobart, Elk View school
was a one room school for grades one through eight. In the center of the
room was a large coal stove furnishing heat in the winter and on occasion
heating a large kettle of cocoa as a special treat for the students. The
school was built on land owned by Jess Reed, for as long as the school
existed. When the school disbanded, the land returned to the Reed estate.
The school was the scene of many community activities; Sunday
school and church, box suppers, Christmas programs and other entertainment.
At one time the community had a very active literary society which put
on plays, skits and other entertainment.
Elk View was noted for some very good baseball teams.A good water
well was located at the school and during the "dirty thirties"
nearby farmers hauled their drinking water from there.
Students of Elk View were transferred to Hobart and Lone Wolf
Schools through 1947-1949. In 1949, Elk View was annexed to Hobart and
Lone Wolf and students were transferred.
The Neighborly Home Demonstration Club used the school building
for the club and activity house for a number of years after the school
district was annexed. Finally the building was sold to Bryan Gentry who
tore it down to salvage the lumber. Mr. Gentry gave the corner stone to
Paul Edge, a former student at Elk View.
Return To Early Schools
Updated October 25, 2003
Background Courtesy Pat Calton
This information compiled, prepared and submitted to this site
Taylor and remains the property of the submitter. Ethel Taylor grants
that this information and data may be used by non-commercial entities,
as long as this message remains on all copied material, for personal and
genealogical research. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in
any format for profit, can not be copied over to other sites, linked to,
or other presentation without written permission of Ethel Taylor.