Gentry District 97
Gentry was organized in 1902 as a one room school for primary through 8th grade. It had one door in front five windows on each side, no opening in the back, a big pot belly stove for heat and kerosene lamps hung from the ceiling.
In those days every school had a big cistern for drinking water. In later years a teacher died from typhoid fever. It was believed it came from the water at Gentry school, so the cistern was condemned and water was hauled. There was a big water keg with spigot and tin cups to drink from.
There were a lot of activities, baseball team, basketball team and some of the games they played were jump rope, anti-over, crack the whip, red rover, high jump, and broad jump. Marbles was always a big game.
The students brought their lunches, usually in a bucket, using a Lard or Mary Jane syrup bucket. Later they organized a lunch program. The teachers and older girls purchased the food and did the cooking. The children were served at their desks and were instructed in proper table manners.
There was Sunday School and Church meetings in the school house on Sunday afternoons, but it discontinued after a while. Later it was re-organized, but since everyone was of a different religion, each Sunday a different one would get his pastor to come and hold services.
Gentry School was in operation until the early 1940's when it was closed. A few years later the building was sold and moved into Hobart, converted to a home.