Rainy Mountain District 57
On July 9, 1904, Richard B. Williams gave one acre of his land
to the district for a school as long as it was needed. The community men
went to work, with the help of A. J. Spice, who was a carpenter, and had
it ready for school by cold weather. Charles Pever helped to paint the
school in the cold weather and almost got pneumonia. The year before,
1903, some of the settlers in the north end of the district hired a man
to teach and used a vacant house south of the Jarvis home on the Kerr
The school was named Rainy Mountain because a tributary of Rainy
Mountain Creek flowed around the edge of the bluff and on north from the
school ground. The water came from Eagle Top Peak about 3 miles south.
The tributary almost surrounded the school site.
The district was almost 5 ½ miles long. It was the largest
one room school in the county, with attendance varying from 60 to 70 students.
Because of the large number of students, the school board added 3 twelve
foot long desks and benches.
One of the favorite activities was getting permission to carry
two buckets from a well almost a quarter mile away. The desks were long
and set 2 students. One of the students favorite teachers was Clayton
Rogers who taught 1924-25. The students played “Tic-Tac-Toe”
and timed Arithmetic problems on the blackboard at noon. At recess he
had surprise games as well as the usual anti-over, hide-and-go-seek, and
treks into the nearby pastures to look for rocks and plants. When one
recited well he was allowed to sit with a friend.
The desks were long and accomadated 2 students. If a boy misbehaved,
Rogers made him sit with a girl. One of the students, Marvin Parr, always
seemed to excel in geography, finish first, and spend the rest of his
time secretly trying to roll apples to the girls when Rogers wasn’t
The building was replaced in 1932-1933 and school continued till
the end of 1945-46 term, when pupils were transferred for 3 years. In
1949 the district was annexed to Cooperton, Gotebo, Hobart and Roosevelt.
Activities through the years were the same as other country schools.
Acitvities through the years were literary societies, box suppers,
programs, spelling and ciphering matches, church, Sunday School, singing
school, and W. O. W. lodge meetings. The building was finally moved to
Rainy Mountain Kiowa Indian Mission School
In 1892 the opening of the new Rainy Mountain U.S. Indian Boarding
School opened a new era in the education of Kiowa children. It was located
about 5 miles south of the present site of Gotebo, and made needless the
smaller struggling schools of that region. . The Indian school for the
Kiowa at Anadarko was closed and the buildings moved. The director of
the lone Wolf Mission became the industrial teacher and farmer at Rainy
For nearly 30 years until officially closed in 1922, this centrally
located boarding school, well staffed and equipped, represented the main
opportunity for the Kiowa. Enrollment was good.
As in most schools, the emphasis was on the practical arts, homemaking
for the girls, and farming and shop for the boys. Learning to read and
speak English was always an important objective.
As part of the government policy of decreasing the program of
boarding schools and gradually getting the Indians into the public school
s of their communities, Rainy Mountain closed and the students went into
This information compiled, prepared and submitted to this site
by Ethel Taylor and remains the property
of the submitter. Ethel Taylor grants that this information and data may be
used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied
material, for personal and genealogical research. These electronic pages cannot
be reproduced in any format for profit, can not be copied over to other sites,
linked to, or other presentation without written permission of Ethel Taylor